Doom 3 sigils, pentagrams, runes etc.

• CaptainToenail
  • CaptainToenail's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #1 by CaptainToenail
Doom 3 sigils, pentagrams, runes etc. was created by CaptainToenail
Thoughts on this? I've ripped these decals from Doom3 and put them in a format that you can use in your GZDoom maps.

There are several preset colours to choose from, and some different animations (static with fire flicker looks the best imo).

Imagine if the mapper could specify the colour exactly in the editor instead of relying on presets - is that possible?

I'm not sure how to make the rotation animation slower, if anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated.

They look best when paired with some dynamic lighting - I've left this up to the mapper because I'm not sure how to make the lighting scale with the actor (is that possible?)

There's also a weird rendering bug when they are placed horizontally on the floor - sprites may bleed through. This is due to them being flatsprites? I could make flat 3D models for all 13 decals instead though its a bit of work. worth the bother?
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by CaptainToenail. Reason: Forgot to attach the test map

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic Doom 3 sigils, pentagrams, runes etc.

Imagine if the mapper could specify the colour exactly in the editor instead of relying on presets - is that possible?
This should be possible with SetShade , you could use args or user variables to pass the hex string. You have to use Renderstyle "Shaded" for this to work though.

They look best when paired with some dynamic lighting - I've left this up to the mapper because I'm not sure how to make the lighting scale with the actor (is that possible?)
Yes, you can scale a light's size to anything you want with A_AttachLight . You can get the sprite's actual pixel size with something like this
Code:
int txwidth, txheight; TextureID tx = curstate.GetSpriteTexture(0); if (tx) [txwidth, txheight] = TexMan.GetSize(tx);
and then attach a light with one of those values as radius:
Code:
A_AttachLight("lightid", DynamicLight.PulseLight, "A020F0", txwidth*0.5, txwidth*0.6);
ofc instead of that fixed rgb value you would pass the same args or uservariable that you passed to Setshade().

There's also a weird rendering bug when they are placed horizontally on the floor - sprites may bleed through. This is due to them being flatsprites?
Yes, thats a known issue, this can also happen with wallsprites if you are close enough and look from certain angles.

edit: I tried this with Renderstyle "shaded":
Code:
Orange: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("FFA000"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Orange"); Goto CheckRotate; Red: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("FF0000"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Red"); Goto CheckRotate; Green: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("00FF00"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Green"); Goto CheckRotate; Blue: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("0000FF"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Blue"); Goto CheckRotate; Cyan: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("00FFFF"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Cyan"); Goto CheckRotate; Yellow: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("FFFF00"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Yellow"); Goto CheckRotate; Purple: 3SI2 # 0 SetShade("A020F0"); //A_SetTranslation ("Doom3_Sigil_Purple"); Goto CheckRotate;
not sure if there are any differences to Renderstyle "add", but it looks fine to me.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by DeVloek.

• CaptainToenail
  • CaptainToenail's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #3 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic Doom 3 sigils, pentagrams, runes etc.
Interesting! - thank you DeVloek, great tips there. I'll experiment with these.

Edit: We have the colour wheel working. This is cooking up nicely. :grin:
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by CaptainToenail.