My first ever map!

• Ancient EviL
  • Ancient EviL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Zombieman
  • Zombieman
More
9 years 5 months ago #1 by Ancient EviL
My first ever map! was created by Ancient EviL
Hello fellow DooMers. I'm pleased to finally release my first map(for Doom 2). It's a single Hell-themed level, relatively short, but a decent enough length that it'd be worth trying. I am looking for feedback as it is my first time creating a map. I just go Slade and Doombuilder about a week or two ago and have no prior map making/game editing knowledge, so I've been watching tutorials and teaching myself as I go along. Anyways, I hope you give the level a try and thank you!

-Ancient Evil

http://www.m*diafire.com/download/v6gz6b9i0s82pll/TheDevilinI.zip
The topic has been locked.
  • Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic My first ever map!
Sorry, but the Realm667 forums is not the place for sharing one's personal modding projects. You might want to try posting at Doomworld , ZDoom or Zandronum , instead.
  • Gez
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 months ago #3 by Gez
Replied by Gez on topic My first ever map!
There's a lot more traffic on these other forums so you'll get a lot more feedback.

However, here's mine:

1. Learn to unpeg your door tracks. The walls on the sides of the door need to have the "lower unpegged" flag set so that their texture doesn't move up and down when the door closes or opens.
2. Doors look much better if they are not flush with the wall. Make a small alcove.
3. Your map is far too orthogonal. Use other angles, make curved shapes. You have lit areas around torches (good detail) but they are all spiky (bad). Light isn't spiky.
4. Your map is far too flat. Try to vary height in a way that has a result on gameplay, like monsters in elevated places or windows or low walls that block the path but let you see and shoot what's on the other side.
5. Using the Easter-egg Wolfenstein 3D textures and monsters is generally not appreciated.
6. Likewise, gratuitous sound replacements and streamed (MP3, OGG, etc.) music making the bulk of the map's size is not very popular.

My advice for you would be to try to recreate from scratch MAP01 or E1M1 , without copy-pasting anything from the original levels. Just try to recreate them from memory (and perhaps looking at the wiki article for map and screenshots) and then compare your recreation with the original. See what's missing, see what looks worse; this will help you find how to make better maps.