More
8 years 2 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1 by DBJ87
[WIP] Pyrobus was created by DBJ87
[INFO]
Name: Pyrobus
Difficulty: Very Hard, Boss
Connection: Mancubus, Bruiser Demon, Afrit
Summon: Pyrobus
Melee: Yes (Set with a melee state Flamethrower attack)
Distance: Projectile
Type: Demon, Cybernetic
Brightmaps: Yes
GLDefs: Yes (From Scratch)

[CREDITS]
WAD Created by: DBJ87
Decorate Created by: DBJ87
Palette: PNG Palette (Doom)
Sprites: ID Software, Xim, Tormentor667, Eriance, DBJ87
SFX: ID Software (Doom 3), Tormentor667, Epsi, Ebola (Afrit Fire, Fly, Comet Explode)
Idea Base: Own Idea

[INFO]
When one surviving Mancubus brought the "essence" of Geological Damage back to Hell after the Demons failed the 1994 invasion of Earth. It spent many years underground, trying to improve its brethren while also stewing over the dramatic improvements that Imps & Barons were getting... It eventually had enough of seeing it's species being easy to kill targets and so,it's used it's knowledge of Pyrotechnics, Elements & Geological Destruction to upgrade itself into an unstable & very angry fire spewing monster!

The Pyrobus harnesses the destructive powers of Earth's extinct Volcanoes, turning it's cannons into fully fledged Flamethrowers, having the ability to create various Earthquakes & Fissures (especially when enraged). This Fatso also fires a more explosive set of 6 fireballs in the Traditional Mancubus style & sometimes finishes that off with a round of 6 Volcanic comets!

Obviously, being a Mancubus, it's a large target and because of that, it has had a massive health boost (plus being a Large Boss Monster I expect, you'd want a
decent fight). Despite it's powerful attacks, as long as you have some cover and plenty of ammo, it will go down quicker than expected. Fully immune to Fire or
Splash damage*.

*Early Version Tests with attacks saw it would easily damage, sometimes even killing itself in enclosed areas before you can.

//Attacks
Melee:
Flamethrower- 3 "Stage" flamethrower alternating shots that stop or continue at a set minimum range. Leaves fire burning for a few seconds after shots hit any solid object. On a small map, this will be it's primary attack. It is more vulnerable when using this attack as it is the slowest attack, standing still & easiest to avoid...

Missile:
Missile 1- Pyroblast:
Mancubus' Fat-Shot, but slightly larger, faster, & leaves a lump of fire when it hits a solid object. Fired in 3 blasts and the Pyrobus may jump to fire it's "Volcano" shot at the end of the 3rd shot. (So it will be attacking 6 times)

Missile 2- Sweep Fissure:
Shoots a floor hugging missile in an arch from -24 to 24 in gaps of 12 (up to - 72 to 72). The missile then explodes into a wall of fire, dealing explosive damage & leaving small traces of fire where the blasts erupted from. Causes a light Quake at the start & end of the shot, signalling when it enters & exits it's invulnerability states**. **Base damage from shots still hurt it because they explode underneath it (due to it's large size) and it is still able walk over an erupting area.

Missile 3- 360 Fissure:
The hardest missile to avoid. Set up like the Sweep Fissure but attacks in full circle of the Pyrobus with a gap of 20 in between each blast (0, 20, 40 etc). Causes a heavy Quake at the start & end of the shot, signalling when it enters & exits it's invulnerability state***. Triggered as a rare Missile attack or as one of the 2 retaliation attacks from it's Pain State. ***Base damage from shots still hurt it because they explode underneath it (due to it's large size) and it is still able walk over an erupting area.

Missile 4- Volcano:
2 Boulders of slightly hardened Lava that are fired in alteration. Each shot causes a Quake & each boulder drops more fire, over a larger area, than the Pyroblast. Shots. Volcanic shots are fired 6x with a slight delay in between each arm. Only fired if jumped to from Pyroblast, if you escape the final stage of it's Flamethrower or in retaliation to Pain.

[UPDATE HISTORY]
Warning: Spoiler!

23/01/17 [Version 3.5]
-Finished Darkening Skin & evened out Colours of the Cannons.
-Eye Brightness slightly changed for Frames H-U & V.
-Duplicate or mirrored attack, ready to attack sprites removed.
-Brightmaps for all stages of Walking & Pain added highlighting Eyes.
-Full Body Brightmaps' Brightness vary with the attack used.
-Fissure Attack Sprites have had some changes made to the facial design.
-"Volcano" Comets have been recoloured.

06/02/17
Requested Changes. Noise output (it does become a real pain):
-Dropped Fire & Fissure Attacks have a silent version created & added to the Pyrobus' attacks & projectiles.
-To help with noise reduction, Pain & Fissure Jump % reduced, with original setting left as a note, if you find it has now become too easy.

[PREVIEW]
[V1] [Original file has been deleted. Sprites used, aren't included but will be added if requested]
[img

[V2]
[img

[V3.5]

[DOWNLOAD]
Taken offline.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by DBJ87. Reason: Discontinuing work on submission.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• yuraofthehairfan
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by yuraofthehairfan
Replied by yuraofthehairfan on topic Pyrobus
I'm happy to see this was sad I had to go though my wads and remove the deadabus so this guy can hopefully replace him

• DBJ87
  • DBJ87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3 by DBJ87
Replied by DBJ87 on topic Pyrobus
yuraofthehairfan I hope you enjoy it :)

Struggling badly, trying to get a new colour scheme with Slade (in case people aren't happy with current colour scheme)...

Managed re-colouring easily before, but that has mostly been with Green, recolouring default Marine (Doom Player) Green or with smaller enemies... this one's a real headache lol

What I now intend to do, is to have an alternative, Brown skin colour (as well as the default that I've used) so if people aren't happy with the Grey skin, there's an alternative. Plus It will help me a bit more as an editor, because I'd like to try and get a better understanding on what & how recolouring larger sprites can be done without so much confusion...
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by DBJ87.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Pyrobus
A problem I see with this monster is that its looks doesn't match its behavior. It mostly looks like an ordinary mancubus, but it has the durability and powerful attacks of a boss or boss-tier monster.

Imagine encountering the Bruiser Demon for the first time. You immediately know that it's not "just another baron". You can feel that from its looks, it has the power to destroy you easily, and indeed it has. It does the part, and looks the part.

• DBJ87
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5 by DBJ87

A problem I see with this monster is that its looks doesn't match its behaviour. It mostly looks like an ordinary mancubus, but it has the durability and powerful attacks of a boss or boss-tier monster.

You're right Blue Shadow, when making this I had problems changing the appearance & colours for it, because the cannons & skin colours are so similar. Slade is the only effective editor I have, I eventually just left it as it was originally (what you see now) & focused on other projects because I couldn't find any way to improve it & I hadn't planned on uploading it so if it wasn't perfect, it didn't bother me too much. But after completing the Allied Marines as well as creating & reconstructing few other enemies, I decided go back to this.

Like you said, the presentation isn't perfect, it doesn't make that much needed daunting impact at first glance.

This is the main reason why I've not posted this as a Submission & why I am asking if anybody would like to make their own changes to it or if anyone can or would like to help me find better ways to colourise it. Another option might be to go back & edit a standard Mancubus, see what can be done there, but I'd rather not lose this guy's head design.

I have now, just finished creating some proper animations for the Flamethrower attack, so it is shooting from either it's left or right arm & along with a few changes to projectile behaviour (angles), I've increased the Pyrobus' overall size (height, radius) although the height changes might be temporary...
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by DBJ87.

• DBJ87
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #6 by DBJ87
Restarted & restructured entire Sprite Set layout & Decorate, added GLDef Lighting & created Brightmaps from Scratch. All the Stats currently match what is set to the version I'm using on own projects. So let me know which missiles are too overpowering or too underpowering.

Still looking for ways to improve the appearance (needs more than a new paint job lol), preferably keeping the Head Design as it is. Lost a lot of minor details on the face restarting this as you can probably see. Brightmaps took me about 3 days to complete, recently started tinkering with setting them up, mostly for eyes but after restructuring this, thought I'd see what I could do with something a bit bigger :)

If anyone has or can make changes or add to this please do, it'd be nice to see what others have in mind for it's appearance.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by DBJ87.

• DBJ87
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by DBJ87
New Missile Remap

New Fissure Attack Sprites

• Fiorello1
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by Fiorello1
Replied by Fiorello1 on topic Pyrobus
I really like that red-orange color its like lava

• DBJ87
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9 by DBJ87

Fiorello1 wrote: I really like that red-orange color its like lava

Thank you, it desperately needed a revamp even after the 2nd attempt... have had a look at adding things like horns or spikes on it's shoulders or back but it's disproportion when walking has made it really hard (keeping things in line when turning), plus after a while, horns were a no-no, looked bad but spikes (studded spikes, not Imp-like sprites) might work to show "hardened" magma. The colour it's got now, was made by accident, but seems to suit it better.

The eyes have been the hardest thing to work on, I was going (and still considering) to attempt a Doom 3 style Mancubus Eye-set where the pupils are blacked out completely, lighting up only when attacking.

Got to go over the cannons, start to even some of the shades out or maybe darken them a bit. I'm hoping the progress so far is what's been asked for. I'll start lowering/balancing some of the damage too, mostly from the dropped fire (it's all based off what I'm using for my own, but it might be too complex for those who aren't ready or don't have the weapons or health spare), now that the appearance looks a lot more intimidating & "Boss Like".
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by DBJ87.

• Fiorello1
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
7 years 5 months ago #10 by Fiorello1
Replied by Fiorello1 on topic Pyrobus
The 360 attack is a ear rape lol, also the volcan one.