• Demon
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #1 by Infirnex
Bridge Generator Weapon was created by Infirnex
Information:
Name: Bridge Generator
Class: 0
Type: Utility
Palette: Well atm uses base game sprites. Doom?
Summon: BridgeGenerator
Ammo Type: Cell. Probably will be changed later.
Altfire: No
Powered Mode: No
Added States: No

I won't bother with Credits yet since it's literally just a Decorate Lump for the time being.

This is a WIP thread for a bridge generator. This weapon makes a straight bridge when shot. It's an idea I've had for a while since playing Mega Man. Specifically the Magnet Beam. After I made this Proof-of-Concept, I immediately thought of level designs and gameplay that could revolve around this little thing.

But as of now, the only thing about the weapon that is original is the function. All sprites are taken from the Plasma Gun (since in the video, I just wanted to demonstrate how it worked). This would obviously not go very far in submission as it currently stands.

I don't know of a sprite that could fit (for weapon or projectile). I imagine a flat, razer-like muzzle being mandatory. I kinda like the ball look of the bridge, but whatever. Sounds are different thing entirely.
I've thought about altfire too. Maybe make the bridge go straight for a while then kick up 45 degrees at some point.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions and, if needed, help with sprites. Otherwise, I'm looking for feedback on the little device. Both are appreciated.

Here's the link to the (very small) file:

File Attachment:

File Name: BridgeGenerator.zip
File Size:1 KB
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Infirnex.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zrrion the insect
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 8 months ago #2 by zrrion the insect
Replied by zrrion the insect on topic Bridge Generator Weapon
This is a really neat Idea. I'll look around my HD and see if I can't find some sprites that would work for this.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 8 months ago #3 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic Bridge Generator Weapon
Imagine the possibilites in a puzzle-like mod :)

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Bridge Generator Weapon
Although, I'm not sure how much use it's going to get (it's rather unconventional when it comes to a weapon/utility), It's still a cool concept.

• Infirnex
  • Infirnex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 8 months ago #5 by Infirnex
Replied by Infirnex on topic Bridge Generator Weapon

Blue Shadow wrote: Although, I'm not sure how much use it's going to get (it's rather unconventional when it comes to a weapon/utility), It's still a cool concept.

That's really the main issue. It's a weapon that requires a map to revolve around it. It absolutely breaks Doom (just imagine how quickly I could've completed MAP24). I know jumping breaks Doom to begin with, but still.

Being said, I love this thing. It's fun. It allows people to use some creativity. If I had the ability to make a MegaWad, I would.

To me, it's a matter of if it's submission material. It's not like it's a bad concept, but something so specialized...

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #6 by NeuralStunner
Replied by NeuralStunner on topic Bridge Generator Weapon
I like the idea! A puzzle-based mod built around this would be amazing. ZDoom needs more mods that aren't "Gun Mod #475698".

You should be able to avoid a lot of "brokenness" by only allowing one bridge at a time. (Firing a new one would remove the previous one.)

AltFire could create a vertical (relatie toy your view) wall, which if aimed down would make a bridge below you.

The actors making the bridge could also be made in such a way that they'd block attacks, making them useful for defense. (Or even just the opposite, add NONSHOOTABLE so projectiles go right through them.)

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 8 months ago #7 by Infirnex

NeuralStunner wrote: The actors making the bridge could also be made in such a way that they'd block attacks, making them useful for defense. (Or even just the opposite, add NONSHOOTABLE so projectiles go right through them.)

At the current state, the projectiles already block attacks. I think SOLID is causing it.

I do like the all fire though. I will commence work tomorrow (very busy day today).

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #8 by NeuralStunner

infirnex wrote: At the current state, the projectiles already block attacks. I think SOLID is causing it.

SOLID will block projectiles, and in a roundabout way monster melees (due to preventing them from getting close enough), but blocking hitscans requires some comination like SHOOTABLE + NODAMAGE + NOTAUTOAIMED.

It depends on how much focus the mod would have on attacking monsters, and how useful the bridge gun should be for defense in that context. I suppose, logically, if the bridge is solid enough to walk on, it's solid enough to shelter behind.

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 8 months ago #9 by Infirnex
Here's a question: how do I make the projectiles shoot at a vertical angle relative to your position?

I can make the wall just fine, but it just creates a vertical wall.

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #10 by NeuralStunner
You should be able to adjust the pitch by 90 degrees with A_FireCustomMissile. But it will still fire from center, rather than appearing in front of you, unless there's a good way to offset it.

Alternatively, there's probably a good way to make the projectile veer 90 degrees upward after it's fired, but I haven't figured it out yet.