header general

How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder?

• PinkyDemonPunky73
  • PinkyDemonPunky73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #1 by PinkyDemonPunky73
How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder? was created by PinkyDemonPunky73
I recently downloaded the psx fire skies for my map i'm making in GZDoom Builder, I cant seem to get it to work. I tried putting it in Slade 3 on FF_Start and F_end entries but only showed each frames on the fire skies on doom builder, if anyone can help I would greatly appretiate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder?
Well, you don't want to put the entries between FF_START and FF_END, since that's reserved for flats, and these images are patches. The way this pack is compiled, there isn't any TEXTUREx/TEXTURES definition files for the skies, so you won't be able to see them in the list of textures in a map editor like a normal sky. However, you never assign a sky texture to your map using a map editor anyways. Instead, what you need to do is go into MAPINFO , and for your map, set the "sky1" value to whichever fire sky type you want to use. This will make the sky show up in your map.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by MagicWazard.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #3 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder?
Wrong forum anyway, moved it.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #4 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder?

Tormentor667 wrote: Wrong forum anyway, moved it.

Ha ha, I'd already moved it once. It was in the Repository to start with.

Anyways, to the original topic, I wanted to clarify a little further: the visual appearance of "F_SKY1" has no impact on what the actual sky looks like in-game. Putting new sky images into the flats list, or replacing "F_SKY1" with a new image, won't have any effect on the actual sky. The flat "F_SKY1" is just a special marker to the engine; when you apply it to the ceiling (or the floor, if you're kinky), it tells the game engine "draw the sky here". What "the sky here" looks like is dependent on what you put in MAPINFO; if you haven't put anything into MAPINFO, then the game will default to whatever the appropriate sky for the map number of the current game is.

Hopefully that helps explain the sky behavior a little better.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by MagicWazard.

• PinkyDemonPunky73
  • PinkyDemonPunky73's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #5 by PinkyDemonPunky73
Replied by PinkyDemonPunky73 on topic How do I add the PSX fire skies onto Doom Builder?
Where do you find MAPINFO? is it in doom builder or slade 3?

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #6 by MagicWazard
You'd edit the file in SLADE3. Note that a MAPINFO file isn't generated automatically when you make a map in Doom Builder (or any other editor that I'm aware of). You have to make the MAPINFO file by hand in SLADE3, then fill in the values you want. It's not difficult once you know what you're doing, but there's a lot of game info that MAPINFO is capable of modifying, so it can take a bit of time to learn how to use. I'd suggest opening up ZDoom.pk3 in SLADE3 and examining the MAPINFO file for the existing Doom games to get a basic idea of how they work. You can then copy the MAPINFO to use as a base and modify it for your needs. And definitely refer to the MAPINFO page on the wiki for more information.