Ideas for maps,or map packs?

• CaptainManiac
  • CaptainManiac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 11 months ago #1 by CaptainManiac
Ideas for maps,or map packs? was created by CaptainManiac
Hi,guys,i am s mapper and need some ideas of maps.I dont know much about what people want in doom maps and will be glad to listen your ideas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #2 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic Ideas for maps,or map packs?
Your project must be YOUR project, how does one is supposed to answer this so vaguely question? It's just up to you, the taste for ideas changes from each individual person and it's useless such kind of question.
Just play mods and try to REALLY understand what do you want to achieve with modding. I told you that one year ago, didn't I?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by ozymandias81. Reason: typo

• CaptainManiac
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 11 months ago #3 by CaptainManiac
Replied by CaptainManiac on topic Ideas for maps,or map packs?
Yes,you did.Of course,i started a second projexct with story that this time IS NOT BLAND.But i seriously worry about what will happen when the WAD comes up to a review.I accept this WAD seriously,unlike my first try,where the stoery,the maps were bland and the monsters were disbalanced,one custom boss was made to be immortal,cus his health was almost million,a custom weapon that was a joke and dumb.I asked the questions about the ideas because i seriously want to understand what the community want NOW,not what they wanted in the past.

• CaptainManiac
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 11 months ago #4 by CaptainManiac
Replied by CaptainManiac on topic Ideas for maps,or map packs?
Man,i am not yelling to you.I just told you what i wanted to tell you and the reasons i asked my question

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 11 months ago #5 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Ideas for maps,or map packs?
I'm gonna be diplomatic about this and say that if you need ideas for maps, then you probably aren't ready to make any. Having a sense of self-inspiration is one of the most important things you can have as an independent mapper. Making maps--or games in general--by committee almost never works out well. If you ask the public what they want, you're going to get a broad range of answers, and if you try to make everyone happy, you're either going to wind up with a total mess due to idea overload, or make something completely bland and uninspired by simply taking the middle road to avoid alienating anyone with radical ideas.

My suggestion? If you want to make maps, but you don't have any ideas, then you have two options:
A) Don't make any maps right now, and instead focus on other skills like art or scripting.
B) Make maps anyways, just to see how they turn out. Maps that you have no intention of using or releasing. Even if you create a map with no clear inspiration when you start, odds are you'll improvise something interesting. And even if the map as a whole turns out badly, you'll probably find one or two things you can re-use in a better map.