header general

Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor

• Ultimate Freedoomer
  • Ultimate Freedoomer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
7 years 10 months ago #1 by Ultimate Freedoomer
Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor was created by Ultimate Freedoomer
Hi. You know how, when it comes to modding, you can set a mod-specific custom console variable to automatically apply with that actor? I was wondering if it was possible to do the same trick with cvars BUILT INTO the mod's intended engine, & if so, how to do it? I'm trying to recreate the Probjectile from the alphas. The cvar I'm trying to do this trick with is "linetarget".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor
I'm not sure I follow, could you elaborate further?

Alos, linetarget is not a CVAR, it's a CCMD (console command) .

• Ultimate Freedoomer
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
7 years 10 months ago #3 by Ultimate Freedoomer
Replied by Ultimate Freedoomer on topic Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor
Basically:
  • I know how to make user-defined mod-specific CCMDs/CVARS automatically apply with custom actors (an example I've seen being Complex Doom's legendary addon making a specific music cue play when you encounter a Legendary monster variant)
  • I have no idea how to make a CCMD/CVAR built into ZDOOM work in such a way.
Like I said, I'm trying to create a usable form of the Probjectile weapon from the Doom Bible for upload to the repository, & I'm trying to make it so that the "LINETARGET" CCMD automatically enables itself if you are close enough to an enemy you're looking at while you have the weapon out, so as to provide the "readout on enemies" feature that that weapon was supposed to have.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor
Well, you cannot invoke a CCMD automatically. But there is an alternative solution to your problem. With ACS , you can get the kind of information the linetarget CCMD provides and print it on the HUD.

Here is simple mod which prints the class name, health and spawn health of the monster under the crosshair, but only if your currently equipped weapon is the plasma rifle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/t98wlrzrgxvycb4/enemyinfo.pk3?dl=0

• Ultimate Freedoomer
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
7 years 10 months ago #5 by Ultimate Freedoomer
Replied by Ultimate Freedoomer on topic Making console variables apply to a DECORATE actor
Thanks. Ya know, we really need a default "enemy stats" powerup actor class base in Zdoom.