[WIP] No name yet (split)

• Blue Shadow
  • Blue Shadow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #1 by Blue Shadow
[WIP] No name yet (split) was created by Blue Shadow
Meh... Not a fan of rail-based weapons since you can't autoaim with them. I recently played a mapset which offers one. I never used it, not even once.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by BadMojo
Replied by BadMojo on topic [WIP] No name yet (split)
Thanks MW I'll test that out later :)

@blueshadow I understand what you mean... But please by all means, help me create something awesome, do you have any ideas for me?

I'd like to state that if anyone has the idea, or helps with the decorate, they will be credited... It's my way of appreciation :)

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic [WIP] No name yet (split)
As far as auto-aim goes, it appears that if you use the MONSTER version of the rail attack, it WILL auto-aim! That's what this potential update to the Skulltag Railgun does.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic [WIP] No name yet (split)
I don't see any documentation that says it's perfectly safe to use the monster version with weapons, so I wouldn't rely on that.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 9 months ago #5 by BadMojo

I don't see any documentation that says it's perfectly safe to use the monster version with weapons, so I wouldn't rely on that.

Well... I don't think its going to start a zombie apocalypse or set off a nuclear bomb or anythin... so it cant be that unsafe to use :P

But I do agree with the auto aim issue... My rule of thumb is if it doesn't Z-Axis Auto aim then its a no-go for the railgun idea, as Id still like to keep this no-mlook compatible, I dont really care if it wont x/y autoaim, as then it just makes this weapon more "skill" worthy for the power it may produce IF I go for the railgun idea.

I do however have a bit more of an idea as to what to do with this weapon though (even though theres not really much choice in terms of "function", I mean, its either going to be a hitscan or projectile weapon, with either some fancy s*** happen or it will have a custom "puff" effect)... and its probably going to involve custom ammo and a custom bullet puff, something electrical, space agey... as this seems to be the theme of my "megawad", in which this weapon as with all of my weapons will be included.

Anyway, Im still up for suggestions, maybe something unnecessarily complicated to the code, maybe ideas on something fancy I could work on.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #6 by Blue Shadow

BadMojo wrote: Well... I don't think its going to start a zombie apocalypse or set off a nuclear bomb or anythin... so it cant be that unsafe to use :P

It could cause headache to the source port's developers, which is enough to avoid.

The Doom community has proven its tendency to exploit bugs and undefined behaviors as engine "features". This more often than not results in a broken mod, an annoyed modder, and an equally (justifiably) annoyed source port developer.

Sometimes developers can't fully or properly fix a bug because someone decided, in their infinite wisdom, that this broken behavior is a feature to be exploited.

As for ideas for the weapon, sorry, I don't have any.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Blue Shadow.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 9 months ago #7 by BadMojo

Blue Shadow wrote:

BadMojo wrote: Well... I don't think its going to start a zombie apocalypse or set off a nuclear bomb or anythin... so it cant be that unsafe to use :P

It could cause headache to the source port's developers, which is enough to avoid.

The Doom community has proven its tendency to exploit bugs and undefined behaviors as engine "features". This more often than not results in a broken mod, an annoyed modder, and an equally (justifiably) annoyed source port developer.

Sometimes developers can't fully or properly fix a bug because someone decided, in their infinite wisdom, that this broken behavior is a feature to be exploited.

Look, we need to drop this whole railgun thing.. So far, just the suggestion of it seems to have started some form of discussion/argument too serious for my liking, and I would not like for this to elevate to anything that could otherwise upset/anger either of you, or me for that matter.

Now I understand your point, and I don't want to cause any commotion to the modding community or the developers of the engine.
So Ill leave it up to myself to decide whats best for this project of mine, and as I said in my previous post, if the standard railgun function cant z-axis auto aim then I wont use it.

I was merely asking for some ideas on whats possible to do weapon wise in decorate, and maybe gain a little more knowledge in the process or perhaps learn of some of the other functions Ive not played with yet, and I wasn't expecting much in terms of a reply, I know this forum has been very quiet lately.

Warning: Spoiler!

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #8 by Blue Shadow

BadMojo wrote: So far, just the suggestion of it seems to have started some form of discussion/argument too serious for my liking, and I would not like for this to elevate to anything that could otherwise upset/anger either of you, or me for that matter.

You're exaggerating. We're nowhere near fighting or arguing with each other. This is merely a discussion. My post towards Magic's wasn't an attack. It was just a statement.

BlueShadow, I hope you didnt take my quote as agressive, the emoti-caco with the tongue poking out was meant for it to be a bit of humour as things were starting to look a bit heated over the subject...

I didn't. It's just that to me, it looked like you weren't taking the subject as seriously as I am. Hence, my reply.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 9 months ago #9 by BadMojo

You're exaggerating. We're nowhere near fighting or arguing with each other. This is merely a discussion. My post towards Magic's wasn't an attack. It was just a statement.

I guess I was, that's in my nature, I over think too much.

I didn't. It's just that to me, it looked like you weren't taking the subject as seriously as I am. Hence, my reply

Im taking it serious enough not to implement the discussed function after you had suggested not to, and even stated it so. I felt a little bit of humour on the side wouldn't hurt, but I guess I was wrong.. Sorry for not expressing full professionalism during the discussion, I'm not used to how these forums operate :/

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 9 months ago #10 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic [WIP] No name yet (split)

BadMojo wrote: Im taking it serious enough not to implement the discussed function after you had suggested not to, and even stated it so. I felt a little bit of humour on the side wouldn't hurt, but I guess I was wrong.. Sorry for not expressing full professionalism during the discussion, I'm not used to how these forums operate :/

I think you're being a bit overly defensive. Nobody minds a bit of humor, even during a legitimate discussion on engine features. His statement about "taking it seriously" wasn't meant to imply you couldn't joke, but more to point out "you could be exploiting an engine bug".

Either way, nobody's really been offended, so there's nothing you need to be defensive about. :)