header general

Looking for help with drawing under-water/full-body sprites for Hexen's Stalker

• Raccoon
  • Raccoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1 by Raccoon
Hey, I'm working on a project to deal with the low-hanging-fruit of ZHexen mapping.

One of the more interesting enemies Hexen introduced was the Stalker, which is an enemy which swims. One of the big issues with modern source ports of Hexen is the fact that the original Hexen had the player sink a few map-pixels into the water-texture to simulate depth, so the Stalker's vanilla sprites only cover it popping out of the water. Most modern mappers exclusively use semi-transparent 3D floors for water, which completely breaks the effect, especially if you want the player to swim around.

If anyone knows where sprites like this exist or would like to help make them, I'm putting together new Decorate for the Stalker to make a version which actually swims around.

This is the thread on ZDoom's forums: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=55803

This is what I have so far (an unpolished side-view of the attack)

Right now, I need to get rotations and sprites of it actually swimming through the water, like a snake, and attacking while under water.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Raccoon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
I can't offer any help I'm afraid, but this looks and sounds interesting. Good luck.

• Raccoon
  • Raccoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #3 by Raccoon
To me it's less "interesting" and more "needed": we NEED this to make modern Maps with the vanilla underwater enemies.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Raccoon.