• Boorka
  • Boorka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 4 months ago #11 by Boorka
Replied by Boorka on topic [SUBMISSION] ROBOBRAIN
Sounds like good idea. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mattbratt11
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 year 4 months ago #12 by mattbratt11
Replied by mattbratt11 on topic [SUBMISSION] Rob O'Brian?
At first, I thought you were making a new monster based on Donald Trump's Attorney Lawyer Rob O'Brian.
That might be a possible joke wad material since there are no pictures and/or Download Links anywhere on this project.

• Gothic
More
1 year 3 months ago #13 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] ROBOBRAIN
Now this turned into an interesting monster, reminds me to the Spider from Strife, but still needs more work.
I think its health is too low. It should be increased to 50 or 70. It also should be a little taller so you don't step over it, unless that was the intention.
For sounds, the camouflage sound should be different, every time it turns transparent I though I picked up something. It could also use a custom sound for its death, it doesn't fit the tiny robotic noises it makes. The attack sound doesn't fit for such a weak shooter.
For its attack, maybe it should turn visible again while firing, so it doesn't become too cheap to use in groups.
As for the sprites, do you still have the original brain graphics? This monster would benefit of being truecolor instead of paletted.

• Boorka
  • Boorka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 3 months ago #14 by Boorka
Replied by Boorka on topic [UPDATE] ROBOBRAIN
I raised health up to 50 and made it become visible when shooting, like you suggested. I'm also currently working on better sounds. As for original brain graphics, I lost them, I'm afraid.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 2 months ago #15 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [UPDATE] ROBOBRAIN
Alright time to start actually combing through some submissions after my like 4 months absence. Anyway, here are some issues in no particular order:
  • You should use PK3 archives for submissions instead of WADs.
  • On the subject of sounds, a sound that is just a single shot would be better than multiple shots. Since currently it sounds like it's firing way more than it actually is.
  • The lighting produced by the Robobrain is constant, and since it just fires in place. The monster just permanently lights up until it stops shooting. Maybe make it so only the frame where it fires its' hitscan attack has a light attached.
And suggestions:
  • Since the monster already has an editor number anyway, I'd suggested giving it a //$Category key  to put it in the "Monsters" category in the editor.
  • Instead of using the actual integer values for the render style changes. You should use the named enums of said styles to make the code readable.  Instead of people having to try and find what number corresponds to which style.
  • Maybe instead of the subtractive render style, try using some other combination of render style and alpha. Since the monster kinda sticks out even in dark places.
  • Instead of just having it constantly shoot in place, perhaps you could have it have a chance to move by calling A_Wander a few times. Could also help it when it's cloaked, since otherwise the cloak is kinda pointless when its' constantly attacking.

• Gothic
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #16 by Gothic
My main gripe with this are the sprites, clearly some quality was lost when converting the sprites to the Doom palette, those blue bits on the brain don't look good at all. The frame offsets also tend to jitter while animated, you should check the original Arachnotron sprite offsets to get the right idea.

• Gothic
More
4 months 1 day ago #17 by Gothic
Sorry, but I don't think this could get added to the beastiary.