header general

sound/music

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 7 months ago #21 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic sound/music

Gez wrote: -- something short like Entryway which is going to be finished in less than five minutes even by a complete newbie should have a short melody...

Which is what makes it hilarious when the Entryway melody gets re-used for Industrial Zone, which is one of the biggest levels in the game and frequently takes a friggin' half-hour or so to complete depending on how thorough you want to be. The music definitely wears out its welcome before then. A good example of how a music track can be perfect for one map, but not a good fit for another.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Armstrong
  • Armstrong's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #22 by Armstrong
Replied by Armstrong on topic sound/music
Here's another think though. like during the level for cut scenics or for boss levels the original music has to cut out somewhere for a different soundtrack to start within that time frame.

For example: like in demon eclipse part 2 I think don't really remember what game it was though. But at the boss levels the original music cuts out then a different soundtrack starts.

How does that work?

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 6 months ago #23 by MagicWazard
Probably by means of the ACS function SetMusic . That allows you to change the music playing by means of an event trigger (say, hitting a switch, or entering a boss battle room). That requires creating an ACS script for your map to reference and run, but it's not really all that complicated for the most part.

• Gez
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #24 by Gez
Replied by Gez on topic sound/music
Yes, SetMusic and LocalSetMusic are the most used methods for that. It's also possible to use MUSINFO and a music changer thing if scripting is not available for whatever reason. Yet another approach is using FraggleScript for its ChangeMusic command. Skulltag and Zandronum (but not ZDoom or GZDoom) also have a deprecated Music_Change function.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Gez.

• Armstrong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #25 by Armstrong
This is going to be hard for me to explain but well that be the same for a monster if I decided that it will be a monster to cross a line to make that original music fade out and new soundtrack to start.

How can I make a monster trigger a new soundtrack. I don't know how else to explain it.

How to make the player and the monster to trigger at the same time?

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 6 months ago #26 by MagicWazard

Armstrong wrote: How can I make a monster trigger a new soundtrack. I don't know how else to explain it.

Usually, any trigger that the player can activate can be activated by a monster instead if you want. When you're setting the trigger line, you have a choice of how you want it to be activated (for example, "Player Walks Over" or "Player Presses Use"). There's an option to have monsters trigger the line when they cross it instead of a player. Note that this option is usually only present in more "advanced" level formats that allow scripting, like Hexen or UDMF format. (Also note that the "Hexen" format can be used for Doom or Heretic maps as well, despite the name.)

Armstrong wrote: How to make the player and the monster to trigger at the same time?

I think you might need to elaborate on this a bit more, as it's a little vague what you mean. Do you mean a line that can be triggered by a player OR a monster, depending on who crosses it first? Or do you mean an event that only happens after the player AND a monster have triggered separate events?

• Armstrong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #27 by Armstrong
How would set it like if I wanted them both to trigger. . Let's call the player Jonny its a lot easier for me.

Let's just say that Jonny and hellsmith his alley would to cross a trigger mark a the same time and that makes the original music change to a different soundtrack.

That's the best that I can tell you for now magicwazard. I really don't know how to explain it myself.

• jdagenet
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 6 months ago #28 by jdagenet
Replied by jdagenet on topic sound/music
So you want both the player and the monster to cross the trigger at the same exact time but if they don't cross at the same exact time, don't trigger the action?

• Armstrong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #29 by Armstrong
Jdagnet I do believe that's correct.

The level that I'm doing requires that function. That's when the tricky put of it comes into play. Making them both trigger something at the same time.

That's my problem right now.

If anybody has any ideas that can help me figure this out.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Armstrong.

• jdagenet
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 6 months ago #30 by jdagenet
Replied by jdagenet on topic sound/music
Okay I see.

Let me get home and test out my possible theory.
Now this'll definitely require the use of ACS so I hope you have some understanding its syntax.