header general

[Help] Low health fade/blood splatter effect

• CaptainManiac
  • CaptainManiac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #11 by CaptainManiac
Replied by CaptainManiac on topic My childish questioning again....
Thank you a lot.The health fading screen script now works.Also,to the on 40% health screen fading:I have planned to make the fading to grey and with image of blood to make bleeeding effect(which is then turned to fading red).Thank you very much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CaptainManiac
  • CaptainManiac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #12 by CaptainManiac
Replied by CaptainManiac on topic My childish questioning again....
Thank you very much.The script now fully works.To be honest,i got the idea of a open world Nazi game called The Saboteur where the same effect replaces fully the health HUD and i think it is cool.Also,about the blood on screen along with the faded grey,i wanted it to be like that.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #13 by BadMojo
Replied by BadMojo on topic My childish questioning again....
Cool, Im glad I could help... Im still learning too believe it or not, Ive not really played with action script much, but I have enough knowledge of c++ to get the logic side of things right.

Ive also been messing around with a blood splatter image, another thing id suggest is to set an alpha flag on the hudmessage... so that the blood can be seen through rather than disrupting the view, so try this one: HudMessage(s:"A";HUDMSG_FADEOUT | HUDMSG_ALPHA,0,CR_RED, 0.5,-0.5,1.0, 3.0, 0.5);

the last number is the alpha, 1.0 being full opaque and 0.0 being invisible.. so 0.5 is a good starting point.... or I guess if your using true colour for your graphics, then a 50% translucency applied to the image will also work... might also want to play with the second to last number, which is the fade out time aswell... 3.0 might be ok.

Theres alot of things Id like to play with in your code so I can add it to my megawad Im working on (you were right, it is a good idea ;)), so if I come up with anything good Ill post it in the workshop or pm it to you... might even make my own blood splats in photoshop and have the code randomly choose one on each call to make the effect more natural... well anyway, good luck :)

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 7 months ago #14 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic My childish questioning again....
Glad you guys got this worked out! Sounds a lot like the kind of effect you see in modern shooters (like Gears of War) that rely on visual cues instead of a dedicated health measurement in the HUD. Not the kind of thing I prefer in place of a bar or numeral, but can be used to interesting effect.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #15 by BadMojo
Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to capture taking damage so we can get this working when being shot rather than getting to a certain health level?

if that makes any sense at all.... I did ask at zdoom forums but no ones noticed it yet :(

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 7 months ago #16 by MagicWazard

BadMojo wrote: Actually, I was wondering if there was a way to capture taking damage so we can get this working when being shot rather than getting to a certain health level?

if that makes any sense at all.... I did ask at zdoom forums but no ones noticed it yet :(

Probably just calling the ACS each time the player goes to his Pain state. The player always goes to his Pain state when taking damage, so there's no risk of it not triggering for certain attacks/damage sources.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #17 by BadMojo
cheers, that sounds like it will work... silly me... I kept on thinking that there was a TakingDamage function, or something like that within acs.. I was thinking about it all wrong.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #18 by BadMojo
Ok well heres what I came up with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/267l6avk62rh08e/BLOODSPLAT.zip?dl=0

Its a little bit more complicated than before, but it works.. Map01 is just a test map that uses script 1 (the original thing we were doing, but with a few more additions to the code, Ive commented what Ive done).. blood splatter will now also work when getting shot or taking damage.

If it wasnt for the fact that it modifies the doomplayer actor, this could be a good addition to the sfx section here on realm.

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 7 months ago #19 by MagicWazard

BadMojo wrote: If it wasnt for the fact that it modifies the doomplayer actor, this could be a good addition to the sfx section here on realm.

There's no rule against modding the player actor for SFX. ;) Obviously you'd want to include detailed instructions if you were to go that route, of course.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #20 by BadMojo
Well, if CaptainManiac is ok with me submitting it (Adding credits with him included of course), then ill start fixing it up for submission. :)