header general

[Help] Low health fade/blood splatter effect

• CaptainManiac
  • CaptainManiac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #21 by CaptainManiac
Replied by CaptainManiac on topic My childish questioning again....
To be honest,i have made the script and plannned it to submit as a screen sfx and credit all who helped me.Since there is no Screen effect section in the SFX Shoppe i cannot publish it.I playtested your code,BadMojo and the BloodSplatter script is not found(I compiled it and it returns the error in the console).I have an idea about a CVAR that can make those effects optional,but i did not work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #22 by BadMojo
Replied by BadMojo on topic My childish questioning again....
Works fine on my end in both the latest version of GZDoom and (possibly) the latest version of standard ZDoom.. What version of GZ/ZDoom are you trying to run it on?
You will get a warning about the DoomPlayer being registered more than once, but thats not going to stop it from working.
The zipped wad I sent has the acs already compiled, but the source is also in there, as well as a test map(a box room with nothing in it) that uses the script for the fading effect, its just a matter of summoning some monsters or IDFA(all weapons) to splash yourself with rocket damage to see the blood splatter effects.

Whats the error your getting in the console?

Oh and as for the submission, it would fit in the "Other" category in the sfx shop.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by BadMojo.

• CaptainManiac
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #23 by CaptainManiac
I tested it on Zandronum 3 alpha and the nice bloodsplatter script is found and run only on map01,in map12 it gives this error.Also,for some reason the screen is not fading.I tried on my version to add CVAR to make it optional,but then the script could not do its work(When i add the while <cvar>) and corner the rest neither the cvar is true,nor false,the screen does not fade).In your script the functions you create are cool,the bloodsplatter images are too(to be honest,i downloaded my bloodsplatter image from Devianart,because i draw awful),but the screen does not fade.You better not add booleans if they do not work properly.
PS:This is my first time using CVARs

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #24 by BadMojo

I tested it on Zandronum 3 alpha

Theres your problem right there, go grab yourself the latest GZDoom http://gzdoom.drdteam.org/page.php?page=download OR Zdoom https://zdoom.org/Download
Zandronum is a very out of date version of zdoom.. My advice would be to do your modding for the latest GZ/Zdoom builds.

You better not add booleans if they do not work properly.

They work fine..... Update your ZDoom.

the screen does not fade

Latest Zdoom will fix that.

.I tried on my version to add CVAR to make it optional,but then the script could not do its work

I havent learnt anything to do with CVAR implementation yet, and Im not sure what you have done in terms of implementing it... but so long as your learning from the zdoom wiki, all I can say for that is... Grab the latest GZ/ZDoom!

i downloaded my bloodsplatter image from Devianart,because i draw awful)

Thats ok, its a start at least. Just watch a few tutorials on youtube for photo manipulation to get you started with editing images to your liking.. I recommend using GIMP for your painting program (Its a good start, and there should be plenty of tutorials on photo manipulation and things like that to get you started)... All I can really say is, practice practice practice! :)

Also on that note.. just make sure the resources your using are free to use... If you edit something enough that its pretty well indistinguishable from the source image, then thats ok, just be careful with that sort of thing.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by BadMojo.

• CaptainManiac
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #25 by CaptainManiac
I tried it on Gz1.9.1,i will update mu Gzdoom to test it on the latest
I will report if there are errors.I often make simple scripts that work even on older Gzdooms

• CaptainManiac
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
7 years 7 months ago #26 by CaptainManiac
Updated GzDoom to latest version.It is 2.3.Tried your script and...neither the screen fades,nor blood splatter screenie show......

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #27 by BadMojo
How are you loading the mod? Try dragging the zip I made straight onto the Gzdoom executable.. If that doesn't work then I don't know where your going wrong.. Maybe someone else here can test the zip to confirm it works... I'm using a fresh copy of Gzdoom and it works fine with the exception of the doom player warning

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 7 months ago #28 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic My childish questioning again....
It works for me, but I've gotta say, holy crap, is the color aggressive. I'd say it really needs to be toned down a notch. (I also thought the blood spatter would be persistent, like in Gears or other similar games.)

As for why it's not working for CaptainManiac? Well, is it possible you have another autoload defined in your user configuration that modifies the player class? I personally have an autoload that I use that mods the player class for a few things, and I need to go into my config file and disable that autoload for this to work correctly--otherwise, the autoload loaded using my config file takes precedence over the player class definition in this .pk3 file.

• BadMojo
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 years 7 months ago #29 by BadMojo
I have to agree, the fade especially is definately a bit much... theres nothing worse than not being able to see when at that critical health level.
I havent played gears of war, and the blood splat images I made are a temporary thing I did for testing purposes.. But Im willing to help out CaptainManiac with supplying original graphics for his project, Ill probably end up doing more for variety, and now that you have mentioned gears of war (assuming thats the game your talking about), Ill watch a few playthroughs or something on youtube to see what you mean.

I think the one thing that Im having trouble with, is making changes to the pain state without it throwing a warning for using a resource twice... Ive tried using "replaces" but I really dont think that is wise, it doesnt work anyway... WWMWD? :)

btw, on an off topic note, the EMS Rifle sounds have been remixed, new version is up, not sure if anyone has noticed it yet.

• MagicWazard
More
7 years 7 months ago #30 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic My childish questioning again....
Well, replacing the player class the way you did it is always going to cause a warning; generally, one doesn't simply redefine a class, but inherits from it and creates a new one. In the case of player classes, however, you then need to re-assign all starting inventory to your new class, and then create a custom MAPINFO which defines the player class available at game startup.

Example:
Code:
gameinfo { PlayerClasses = "NewDoomPlayer" }

Oh, and when assigning starting inventory to the player, remember that the inventory items given will NOT be automatically replaced with anything that uses "replaces"; so, for example, if you mod the pistol to replace the stock one, you have to directly give the modded pistol to the player class--if you just give him "pistol", he'll get the unmodded version.