• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #11 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic Weapons Resource Wad
Here is the updated Blaster Pistol. What I have done:

Warning: Spoiler!

I feel this is a nice update to the weapon while sticking close to the original concept.

Are we submitting these to the Armory through the usual process, or are we going to compile them all into one package?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #12 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic Weapons Resource Wad

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #13 by CaptainToenail
That's a neat adaptation of the original. I guess if there is a chainsaw on Phobos it would make sense they have a leaf blower too :D
I'll avoid making any fart jokes about the gas clouds :roll: Igniting them is really cool although they can easily blow up in your own face.

-There is a typo - 'flamable' should be 'flammable'
-I reckon the air clouds look better with additive rendering and a low alpha around 0.2.
-Perhaps the tube on the dust blower could be clear, but keep it green on the gas variant? To further distinguish the two?
-There is also a bug with the bubbles I discovered recently - a checkceiling check needs to be added otherwise you can end up with infinite bubbles in underwater tunnels which can slow the game down a lot. I should really update the bubbles entry again with the fix.

Edit: if nobody minds, I'd like to tackle the Ice Crystal gun next.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by CaptainToenail.

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #14 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic Weapons Resource Wad
Nice work with the blaster. Only thing I noticed is the dynamic lights for the projectile death never really light up the surface that was hit. Imo it looks much better without attenuation (radius becomes a bit too large though).

I like the gas blower too, igniting the gas clouds is a great idea. The range is a bit underwhelming though, maybe make the clouds travel a bit further? Also can you make the clouds less static? Like, make them drift apart when you shoot more into the same direction. If you keep spamming gas at the same spot in front of you, all those additive sprites look really bad after a few seconds.

Also the gas explosion has the funny but probably unwanted side effect of launching you straight to the moon when you are invulnerable :XD: Without invulnerability you only seem to fly a reasonable distance when you ignite the gas right in your face. Maybe because you're dead and the corpse has different mass? idk.

edit: the spark needs a bigger range too, it's extremely dangerous to ignite the clouds. One step too close and you're toast.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by DeVloek.

• Gothic
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #15 by Gothic

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #16 by DeVloek
it's not really a nuisance, more like a potential exploit. In a map with an invulnerability sphere you could abuse the kickback to launch yourself to places you aren't supposed to go (yet).

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #17 by CaptainToenail
The air/poison clouds cause enemies to leave blood decals which looks strange (unless it's flesh-melting gas I guess).

Also I feel the weapon firing animation could be improved from the original.

Otherwise I really like the updated blowers, it's coming along nicely. Have you considered adding an altfire to the dust blower that sucks enemies/items towards the player like a vacuum cleaner? Then again maybe that would be too silly.

Here's what I have with the Ice Crystal Gun so far. I'd say it's around 75% complete. I still need to clean up a bunch of small things. I added the simple Mighty Boot as the Altfire to clear frozen enemies out of the way.

• Gothic
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #18 by Gothic

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #19 by DeVloek
wow you guys are on fire! I didn't have much time at all to work on the Nuker, or any doom stuff for that matter. Might get around to it later this week, not sure.

As for the pipebomb death problem, maybe you can do it similar to how I handled it with my sticky bombs. They enter their death state as soon as they hit something, but they don't explode. The actual explosion is handled by another, custom state. So maybe you can solve this by using the Xdeath state for the explosion, Thing_Destroy has an option for that.

• mattbratt11
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #20 by mattbratt11
Replied by mattbratt11 on topic Weapons Resource Wad (and Monsters too?)
Since we're on the subject of the Weapon Resource Wad, shall we also talk about the Monster Resource Wads (monsters.wad, humans.wad, and bosses.wad files respectively)?