• idGamer
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #51 by idGamer
Replied by idGamer on topic The WIP Thread
Still working on that old horror mod of mine:
Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #52 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic The WIP Thread

idGamer wrote: Still working on that old horror mod of mine:

"Sanity", eh? I'm guessing somebody's a fan of Eternal Darkness? Glad to see you're still working on stuff, too.

• idGamer
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #53 by idGamer

"Sanity", eh? I'm guessing somebody's a fan of Eternal Darkness? Glad to see you're still working on stuff, too.

Actually, I don't know much about Eternal Darkness; most of the inspiration for the project came from stuff like Silent Hill/Cry of Fear.

Sanity is really just the player's health, although I may have to implement a system that causes the level and/or monsters become more twisted and bizarre if your health is low.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by idGamer.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #54 by MagicWazard
Well, if you haven't played Eternal Darkness, and you have a GameCube (or backwards-compatible Wii), I suggest you try it out. It has a sanity system, and it gets real creative (and meta) with its implementation. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you don't plan on playing it, at the very least Google it and read up on some of the crazy shit it does.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 1 day ago #55 by MagicWazard
Remember THIS? I just came across this in my closet--forgot I had it. Wonder if it still works.

(Four disks? That's as much as the whole damn game took up!)

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 15 hours ago #56 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic The WIP Thread
Do you still have a floppy disk drive to read those? :P

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 12 hours ago #57 by MagicWazard

Blue Shadow wrote: Do you still have a floppy disk drive to read those? :P

I do, in fact, and it even has a second slot for the old 5 1/4'' disks too. I do not have it hooked up to my computer, though. I've been meaning to give it a shot for a while, but...eh. I get the feeling it'll start spewing smoke if I even try. ("Unplug it first!")

• idGamer
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 11 months ago #58 by idGamer

I finally finished my project; all that's left now is a little fine-tuning and some serious playtesting.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 5 months ago #59 by MagicWazard
How's this look? It's my Former Ranger with the head from a Blake Stone enemy. The head does look a touch big, even though it's about the same actual pixel size as the standard Zombieman. (Possibly because of the proportions of the facial features.) The head might work better on a Commando, however. I do think it looks kinda cool, though.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
8 years 5 months ago #60 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic The WIP Thread
Currently working on a new monster after getting some inspiration from the Helmet Head boss from Zelda II: The adventure of Link and the Evil Knight that is currently on the site. I liked that when the player knocked off the boss's helmets they didn't just go away, but instead became enemies themselves. So, I have decided to try and replicate that in Hexen due to it being a little more fitting.

So far I have not gotten into actually making the monster in game, but I have started to gather some sprites to use and have been thinking about the mechanics. At first I was thinking about making it just like Helmet Head where after the player knocks off two helmets that's all that will appear and each one would move slightly differently and shoot weak fireballs. But I wanted something a little more than that. So, I have chosen to use five different helmets which not only have their own stand alone attacks after being knocked off the suit of armor, but will also affect how the suit of armor behaves.

The mechanics are not final but I am feeling pretty good on them so far. The helmets included and affect on the armor suit would be as follows:
(Also "Normal Stats" would be similar to the stats of a brown chaos serpent... or a Mancubus I guess. Medium to semi-Hard level)
  1. Evil Knight Helm: Normal Stats, Melee only / Stand alone: Shoots weak fireballs
  2. Invisible Warrior Helm: Normal Stats, Melee, Throws Sword / Stand alone: Shoots daggers (Ripper flag added)
  3. Butcher Helm: High health and attack, Low speed, Melee, Slams sword in ground to cause a small tremor forward / Stand alone: Slow, Shoots rocks
  4. Archer Knight Helm: High speed, Low health, Melee, Able to leap forward and swing then quickly take a leap back out of reach / Stand alone: Fast, Lost Soul Attack
  5. Zardaz Helm: High speed and attack, Melee, All previous attacks or something else that I can't think of. No stand alone as this would be the final helmet to appear.
Each helmet would be able to fly when knocked off and can not be defeated. The only way to get rid of them would be to kill the suit of armor. As such, this enemy would be intended as a mid-boss or boss since the helmets would serve as extra enemies to dodge around. Since they cannot be defeated their attacks will be fairly weak as well, making them not too much of a threat but still worth keeping track of as they can still chip away at the player's health.

I'll try to make edits with each helmet on the suit of armor later. I already have each helmet as stand alone pieces so it's just a matter of getting them on the suit after I do some recoloring and other edits. In the meantime, any feedback or suggestions? :)