header general

The WIP Thread

• SArais
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #71 by SArais
Replied by SArais on topic The WIP Thread
The forum seems to have eaten my post. The yellow caco and Draconipose seem like they'd get a lot of use.

Meanwhile, whilst people are being dramatic over an edited-without-permission map (who HASN'T done this?), that got me expelled from JOM 4 and the rest of the community due to Realm667's ROOTS PACK, I'm just going to keep working on my other map.

http://imgur.com/a/1ikCV
http://imgur.com/a/Ya5Zp

I may be digging my own hole further, but the only way out is down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onj8ru5hyqdc8p2/2017-07-20%2022-26-58.flv?dl=0 supplimentary video
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by SArais.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #72 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic The WIP Thread
Working on a Boss monster for Hexen/Heretic called The Mountain King. A bit of a different and unique boss enemy because it has two parts to it.

The main part is its head which doesn't move at all. I am using the Iron Lich as the head who sits on top of a large pillar (since I couldn't come up with any kind of body or other things that would fit) and will summon Stone Golems from the ground, summon falling stalactites (Yet to be implemented) from the ceiling, and spit out large stones/boulders if the player gets too close. It will have a ton of health and elemental defenses to make up for its lack of mobility. So far, not too threatening right?

Well that's where the second part of this boss comes in, its hands. At the moment I am using placeholder actors until I can get some actual stone fists made, but the mechanics are pretty much down. These stone hands will be floating in the air at all times and chase the player around. Once the player is within range they will smash the ground, causing a large earthquake to damage the player. The hands will also have a large pool of health and elemental defenses.

This forces the player to keep moving and keep an eye on all three parts of the monster to make sure they don't accidentally run into danger. I have yet to implement this but when the head is killed the hands will also be killed, as well as the golems, so the main objective is still to focus on the head. It will still be possible to kill each hand, of course.

When testing this out make sure to use both files. The map file already has everything set up at their proper heights since spawning in the hands normally without needing to fly will cause the hands to sink into the ground. They will appear to be on the ground at the start but will raise up once they enter their See state. Illusions!!!

Updated version: 7/28/17 11:06pm
Mountain King WIP

Edit: I tried to make some giant stone hands... Not really that good but it's the best I could do so... Meh. The search for better hands is still on!
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by doomedarchviledemon.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 11 months ago #73 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic The WIP Thread
Maybe you could edit some hands from this guy?

https://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/43153/

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 11 months ago #74 by doomedarchviledemon
Eh, I tried that already but I didn't like what came out. The style doesn't really fit with Hexen or the Iron Lich and when scaled up it was a bit... meh looking. I can try it again though and see if I can make something a bit better at the very least.

I am thinking maybe a front perspective on the Fighter's gauntlet might work a lot better since it will be in the same style and can scale up to the Lich's size and still look ok. I just need to find it or something similar.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 6 months ago #75 by doomedarchviledemon

Getting back into weapons again. Soon to come... :3c

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 5 months ago #76 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic The WIP Thread
Looks cool! The skeletal elements will need to cast a bit of a drop shadow on the barrel, but that's my only criticism thus far.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 5 months ago #77 by doomedarchviledemon
I made some ammo pickups for the Skull Launcher (WIP)!

Additionally, here is the current version of the weapon. It is pretty much fully functional with a few things still needing some adjustments.
Skull Launcher

The idea of this weapon is that a weapons expert at the UAC really hates Lost Souls and Revenants. So they decided to show them just how much he hated them by creating this weapon. After going on a rampage and slaughtering tons of each demon he used the remains as parts. Jamming a Lost Soul onto the barrel of a modified rocket launcher and using the hands of the Revenant fused to the sides, the weapons expert could show the demons that he is the master of all things bone and boom booms. But that wasn't enough of a statement.

Pushing even further they then used the skulls of the Lost Souls and Revenants as modified weapons. Placing the Lost Souls on the front of rockets as they try to constantly fight back against the trajectory they are forced to unwillingly attack their own. While the Revenant's skulls are filled with explosives and bounce around until they explode. Thanks to having killed so many Revenants the weapons expert also used its tech so each projectile will home in on the demons.

I'd like to get some feedback on this current version of this weapon before I submit it. I know that I do not have any sounds for anything yet, but I have put in a request specifically for this weapon on the Zdoom Forums since I am not much of an audio mixer. But anything else I would love to get some feedback on this. :lol:

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 5 months ago #78 by doomedarchviledemon

Looks cool! The skeletal elements will need to cast a bit of a drop shadow on the barrel, but that's my only criticism thus far.

I added some drop shadows!

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #79 by doomedarchviledemon
Oh no, another thing I'm working on before I finished my previous thing... previous few things. Whatever, I have a spastic mind and want to just make stuff lol. Anyway, making a Hexen weapon for the Fighter this time. I wanted to make a real powerhouse of a weapon but with a downside to kind of balance it out. The weapon can usually kill most enemies with a single swing of the sword, but the downside is that it has a large wind up and slows the player due to the curse that comes with the sword. The player can hold on the drawback to help time their swing a bit better but this slows them down even further. It also has an alt attack that fires a large ripper projectile but costs a lot of mana to use. (Well it's only 15 now but will raise a little more later) It is not the kind of weapon that you can just spam and clear a room in a matter of seconds and is not good for close quarter hoard encounters. More of carefully timed swings and figuring out when to move in and strike to make your swing really count.

The only issue is that I am not sure if I am hitting than balance in that the weapon is worth using for the upsides that comes with it, even with the downsides attached. I'd like it to still be a powerhouse weapon as well as have a downside while using it because I think that would make for an interesting weapon type.

Also I did not know that you could alter the players speed stat depending on which weapon they are using and I think that is awesome because it gives way on giving a weapon a great sense of weight. You know, instead of it all being within the animations because, sure, you can make a weapon look heavy but if you're moving at a full sprint the whole weight thing is kind of negated.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated on this.

Cursed Sword
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by doomedarchviledemon. Reason: Changed a few things, mainly the damage of the primary attack.

• SArais
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #80 by SArais
Replied by SArais on topic The WIP Thread
Been working on a mapset. It's a/n techbase set on the arctic moon of saturn, Enceladus. It's intended to take place roughly 25 years (to be updated to actual release year) after the last demonic invasion. They haven't been seen in years, so why hit the Enceladus base, which would be the most disadvantageous position? Ideally place it between the end of d64 and the start of user content in the doom timeline.

As it suggests, it's meant to be a melding of D64 to Doom 2, as well as do some weird other stuff for future wad hooks.

Using d64 textures, d64 texture variants, and CC4tex; You are free to edit most things in the wad and add/remove as nessasary; though communicate with other people.
Probably going to end up doing it myself, but if anybody wants to jump onboard, feel free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgoQJvaqpwI
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by SArais.